Free Pascal 3.0.6
African Wild Dog
2018-08-01 03:47:39 UTC
Hello,

Are there plans to release version 3.0.6 later this year?
There are bugs in 3.0.4 which makes the use of generics virtually
impossible (since you cannot use generics with inheritance): #34024
<https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34024> and #34065
<https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34065>.

Overloaded operators with generics are limited by this bug: #34030
<https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34030>.

Because of these errors I had to interrupt the port of a relatively large
Delphi project that makes extensive use of generics with inheritance.

Regards
Marco van de Voort
2018-08-01 13:56:21 UTC
In our previous episode, African Wild Dog said:
> Are there plans to release version 3.0.6 later this year?

No. There will probably no 3.0.x anymore. (and even if, it would have mostly
minor RTL fixes, no sensitive compiler fixes).

The next release will be from trunk as 3.2, but considering historic release
schedules probably not this year.

http://l
LacaK
2018-08-06 08:57:49 UTC
>> Are there plans to release version 3.0.6 later this year?
> No. There will probably no 3.0.x anymore. (and even if, it would have mostly
> minor RTL fixes, no sensitive compiler fixes).
It would be nice have at least one maintenance release per year.
Also some Database related bugs can be merged if there will be 3.0.6
(of course I understand, that compiler related features, asked by
African Dog will not be merged)

-Laco.

http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/m
Sven Barth via fpc-devel
2018-08-06 09:05:27 UTC
LacaK <***@zoznam.sk> schrieb am Mo., 6. Aug. 2018, 10:58:

> >> Are there plans to release version 3.0.6 later this year?
> > No. There will probably no 3.0.x anymore. (and even if, it would have
> mostly
> > minor RTL fixes, no sensitive compiler fixes).
> It would be nice have at least one maintenance release per year.
> Also some Database related bugs can be merged if there will be 3.0.6
> (of course I understand, that compiler related features, asked by
> African Dog will not be merged)

Release engineering takes half a year. We prefer to use that time to squash
more bugs and improve the compiler and libraries.

LacaK
2018-08-06 09:37:17 UTC

> >> Are there plans to release version 3.0.6 later this year?
> > No. There will probably no 3.0.x anymore. (and even if, it would
> have mostly
> > minor RTL fixes, no sensitive compiler fixes).
> It would be nice have at least one maintenance release per year.
> Also some Database related bugs can be merged if there will be 3.0.6
> (of course I understand, that compiler related features, asked by
> African Dog will not be merged)
>

> Release engineering takes half a year.
1/2 year, so long? Also in case of fixies/point release ?
(my intuitive understanding was that it is question of automated
building process, when fixies branch is taken and binaries are
compiled/build)

> We prefer to use that time to squash more bugs and improve the
> compiler and libraries.
Yes of course. On other side improvement is neverending process, so in
some point in time "decision" must be taken.
Probably this decision is based on some features, which must be
completed before releasing of new version can start ...

-Laco.