Generics collections
Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis
2016-07-29 18:01:11 UTC

is there a chance to merge the generics collections 34229 commit from
trunk to 3.0 fixes ( a.k.a. 3.0.2 soon to be ) also ?

regards,
--
Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis
Maciej Izak
2016-07-30 16:10:29 UTC
Impossible! :O *Finally*! Thanks Sven! Totally unexpected event. ;)

I'd like to use Generics.Collections in stable release ASAP but... IMO best
version for release is 3.2 (even 3.0.4 is probably to early). I need to
review latest changes in trunk for generics to correct library (package?)
code, because few elements in library are temporary (to workaround bugs)
see

https://github.com/dathox/generics.collections/blob/master/GenericsCompatibilityMatrix.pdf

especially we need to fix:

#26030 and #28911

#28911 will be fixed (probably) after packages release.

I have questions how to contribute in future:

- shall I create ticket on bugtracker for set of my commits on github (or
for each commit separately?)?
- Is right to break interface for experimental structures (generally most
of experimental structures were introduced only for bug workarounds)
- maybe is good idea to add me write-rights for svn only for rtl-generics
subdirectory for easily maintenance?
Post by Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis
Hi,
is there a chance to merge the generics collections 34229 commit from
trunk to 3.0 fixes ( a.k.a. 3.0.2 soon to be ) also ?
regards,
--
Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis
Best regards,
Maciej Izak
Sven Barth
2016-07-30 16:40:02 UTC
Post by Maciej Izak
Impossible! :O *Finally*! Thanks Sven! Totally unexpected event. ;)
Expect the unexpected :P
Post by Maciej Izak
I'd like to use Generics.Collections in stable release ASAP but... IMO
best version for release is 3.2 (even 3.0.4 is probably to early). I need
to review latest changes in trunk for generics to correct library
(package?) code, because few elements in library are temporary (to
workaround bugs) see

3.0.2 is probably too late as we're already in RC preparation phase. And as
you said 3.0.4 might be a bad idea as well if you want to rely on trunk
features.
Post by Maciej Izak
- shall I create ticket on bugtracker for set of my commits on github (or
for each commit separately?)?

For now please create tickets, though not necessarily for each commit, but
maybe for commits that belong together. Also please check the changes I've
made (they're mentioned both in the commit as well as the issue).
Post by Maciej Izak
- Is right to break interface for experimental structures (generally most
of experimental structures were introduced only for bug workarounds)

Maybe you should add an "experimental" modifier to these types so that one
knows that they're unstable.
And that's another reason to keep this in trunk only: once it's released it
would be advisable to keep breaking changes to a minimum (not that they
can't happen at all as my changes for packages have shown).
Post by Maciej Izak
- maybe is good idea to add me write-rights for svn only for rtl-generics
subdirectory for easily maintenance?

Let's see for a while how much work you'll still have left and then we can
talk about this again.

Maciej Izak
2016-07-31 10:30:23 UTC
please check the changes I've made (they're mentioned both in the commit
as well as the issue).
merged into github repo
Maybe you should add an "experimental" modifier to these types so that one
knows that they're unstable.
I've made that long time ago (for most of unstable interfaces).
--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak