Status of dynamic packages
gabor
2016-11-10 14:15:41 UTC
Hello.
What's the status of dynamic packages? Are they usable?

Regards,
Michał.
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/
Sven Barth
2016-11-10 16:29:50 UTC
Post by gabor
Hello.
What's the status of dynamic packages? Are they usable?
Currently only compile time packages work (meaning you can't load
additional packages at runtime). Also currently only i386-win32 and the OS
X targets (I did only test powerpc-darwin however) would be supported if
packages would be enabled.
Additionally there still needs to be fpmake support for dynamic packages
added (so that the ppk is generated based on the fpmake.pp and that it
indeed compiles the package).

gabor
2016-11-16 13:30:23 UTC
Thank you for your answer. It seems that it is too early to more
questions. Perhaps one: Dynamic packages will be supported like in
Delphi (FindClassHInstance, GetPackageInfo...etc)?

Regards, Michał.
Sven Barth
2016-11-16 13:35:17 UTC
Post by gabor
Thank you for your answer. It seems that it is too early to more
questions. Perhaps one: Dynamic packages will be supported like in Delphi
(FindClassHInstance, GetPackageInfo...etc)?

I have not yet looked at the APIs in detail, but in essence that should be
the case.

gabor
2016-11-16 13:46:33 UTC
Thanks and best regards,
Michał
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listin
Mattias Gaertner
2017-01-25 20:40:48 UTC
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 17:29:50 +0100
Post by Sven Barth
Post by gabor
Hello.
What's the status of dynamic packages? Are they usable?
Currently only compile time packages work (meaning you can't load
additional packages at runtime). Also currently only i386-win32 and the OS
X targets (I did only test powerpc-darwin however) would be supported if
packages would be enabled.
Additionally there still needs to be fpmake support for dynamic packages
added (so that the ppk is generated based on the fpmake.pp and that it
indeed compiles the package).
If someone wants to help with it, what skills/knowledge are required and
what are the next steps?

Mattias
Sven Barth
2017-01-26 19:36:58 UTC
Post by Sven Barth
Post by gabor
Hello.
What's the status of dynamic packages? Are they usable?
Currently only compile time packages work (meaning you can't load
additional packages at runtime). Also currently only i386-win32 and the OS
X targets (I did only test powerpc-darwin however) would be supported if
packages would be enabled.
Additionally there still needs to be fpmake support for dynamic packages
added (so that the ppk is generated based on the fpmake.pp and that it
indeed compiles the package).
If someone wants to help with it, what skills/knowledge are required and
what are the next steps?
For the compiler/RTL there isn't much that can be done as I'll need to
redesign the unit initialization and finalization as well as prepare the
RTL for a more dynamic approach regarding various tables.

What could be helped with however would be fpmake since that would need
to be able to generate package files and compile them along with the
units if the target supports dynamic packages (cause I don't want to
maintain a parallel .ppk file). I've already asked Joost on Core whether
he'd be inclined to do that, but I haven't received an answer, so I
don't know whether he read my mail or even already started working on it...