Building cross-compilers
Alfred
2018-08-18 10:10:43 UTC
Hello,

As maintainer of fpcup[deluxe], I have a fundamental question.

The original source of fpcup gives the possibility to build a
cross-compiler either with the compiler build from source or with the
bootstrapper that was used to build the compiler from source.

My question: am I correct in assuming that a cross-compiler should
always be build with the compiler from the source itself ?

Thanks.
Jonas Maebe
2018-08-18 11:10:10 UTC
On 18/08/18 12:10, Alfred wrote:
> My question: am I correct in assuming that a cross-compiler should
> always be build with the compiler from the source itself ?

It is best, yes. Although this does not happen very often any more,
sometimes ppc1 (which is used to build the cross-compiler) does not
contain all fixes/features in case the last stable release had a bug
that gets triggered by the compiler/rtl code from trunk.

Jonas
http://lists.freepascal.org/cg